Thursday 27 June 2013

Research into stylling


As my music video has a set theme and era of the 1950s, I will have to ensure this is very clear through the costume, makeup, hair, props etc. I have been researching the fashions and styles of the 50s to gain a greater knowledge of this era so I can really portray this within my music video. I have also been watching multiple videos on Youtube of swing/1950s dances which will again help me whilst choreographing a routine for my music video. Whilst researching male fashions I have discovered reoccuring outfits of being fitted trousers with a white shirt and braces as shown in the images on the left. I think this would look very effective as it is very plain and basic in comparison to a big, bold pattern that the female would be wearing. Also, I would be able to get some effective shots with this outfit using the braces and a hat.

50 males hair would mainly be big quiff fringes, similarly to females, with a side parting which would give a very slick, classy look.





The females fashions of the 50s then strongly contrast as they were very bold and bright. The typical style of dresses that appeared both in my research of 50s fashions and whilst watching routines all had big patterns, tight around the bust and then flared out to create a circular skirt, mainly a halterneck. I believe that this is a very stereotypical outfit of the 50s and therefore would ensure that the audience's instantly know the time period I will be creating.

Typical hairstyles of 50s females are all very curly with big quiff fringe-styles. It would be very tight curls and lots of them to cover the females entire head. Both the typical hair and makeup of 50s females are very big and over the top. Makeup consisting of bright red lipstick, heavy foundation blusher and lots of thick, flicky eyeliner and mascara. They tend to follow the style of 'pin up girls' which were most popular in the 40s and 50s.

Whilst creating my music video, I will have to practise applying the typical makeup and testing hair styles to see what looks best. I will also get a dress made with the material I chose which looks like that of typical 50s fashions to reinforce the style as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment